Thursday 16 October 2008

The devil is in the detail

I've just taken a step back to write a brief summary of what I've done in the first year of this PhD thing, and what I hope to do before the end.

This exercise was all in the name of administrivia, so I decided to embrace it and had fun littering it with management buzzwords: "timewriting", "milestones", "progress review", "timescales", "project phases" and I even included a "gantt chart".

But actually it has left me reinvigorated (well perhaps that is a little strong) with what I'm trying to do. Amazingly I even felt inspired to start writing some thesis - it seems much more exciting than the devilish details which I have been fighting recently. These details have to be overcome, by nature of a PhD, but taking a step back helped me to remember that they are in the name of something bigger. I guess such details are what cause the second year blues.

I'm not quite sure why everyone in my department seems so vehemently disparaging of such management style stuff. In particular everyone hate progress reviews, transferable skills, professional development and free extra-disciplinary training courses. Whilst of course we all hate being forced to do extra things, some of them do serve a useful purpose, at least for me.

No comments: