Tuesday 19 June 2007

The Pied Piper of Lima

So what has been keeping me busy for the last few weeks and away from this blog?

I've been at the school five days a week, helping in lessons, getting to know the teachers and the kids, and acting in the school play! I played the part of the shepherd in the parable of the lost sheep - adapted with a bit of artistic license to include an evil wolf who poses as a donkey, and some helpful butterflies. All in Spanish, of course. I've also been a little tied up with the politics of the school which I will write more about in my next entry.

In the maths lessons some of the content the older ones have been doing is quite hard - stuff that I didn't learn until A-level - such as algebraic division, geometric and arithmetic sequences, and binomial expansions. I think they just do more because they have more maths lessons than in British schools - there is less diversity of subjects generally. It's nice when they all seem impressed that I can do maths! The other day the teacher didn't arrive for her class, so I ended up taking the 2 hour lesson and going through their homework to rationalise irrational fractions.

Outside of school, I've been seeing different parts of Lima, and making friends with Peruvians through the other volunteers - good for my Spanish. I've also been making weekend excursions to places within reasonable bus distance of Lima.
  • Pacahacamac, for Inca and Pre Inca Ruins
  • Tarma, for picturesque Sierra valleys and impressive jungle valleys.
  • Pisco and Paracas for an island trip, heaven for ornithologists.
  • Huachina for sandboarding on massive dunes - safer, softer and warmer than snowboarding

Some of you wanted to see a few more more pics from my travels, so here they are:


FC

No comments: