Saturday 23 June 2007

Computers update

It looks like we might be going to buy the computers on Monday. This week has been really hectic - everyone is getting really excited but I only have one week left. The headtecher took me to the LEA to meet all sorts of important people, the highest up of which reports directly to the minister of education. I think she's just playing politics and trying to further her career, but the more people she invites to come and see the computer room, and the more they have invested in it, and the more certain it is to work out well. The local director of the government computer plan came to the school yesterday and complicated matters by advising us to get a different spec than I had got the quotes for - but hopefully it will be worked out by Monday. I'm also staying in Lima this weekend to work with a couple of tech guys to repair some of the older existing computers.

I am getting the school and parents to agree to a few things before we go ahead - it's not a completely free lunch for them - a two way process. They have to make the security satisfactory, and get the older computers mended, and sort the transport, and send me pics every so often. I'm also going to come back in August to check everything is working out, and then I may donate more later. I am also trying to arrange a maintnence contract with a guy who has an internet cabin 50m from the school, so the teachers can easily go and find him if there is a problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.