Thursday 5 July 2007

Exit Lima


My last couple of weeks in Lima evaporated quickly - getting myself involved in the computer finally allowed me to make the kind of difference I wanted; rushed, but better late than never.


Once it became clear that my friends and I really were going to make a donation, the teachers warmed to me and everything started happening quickly, of which I mentioned a bit in my previous post. Last Monday we did finally go to buy the computers and I ended up buying 5 new Pentium 4's as well as keyboards and mice and some parts to repair some of the existing machines. I was accompanied by parents, teachers, spouses, brothers, and a technical guy (I think there were 9 in total, quite a party). In total I think I spent the equivalent to 6 months wages for one of the teachers - an amount we could easily spend on one computer, or earn in less than 2 weeks. It made me uncomfortable flashing so much cash in front of them - having money and privilege makes me uncomfortable but at least it was being spent for a good cause.

The rest of that week, I worked hard with two technical guys to get everything installed and set up in the computer room, whilst others worked on the security and power outlets. I was a little disappointed that the Peruvian ability to repair everything seemingly doesn't extend to old computers - at least not with these guys. We spent a lot of time tinkering with the older machines but in total only managed to get 5 of 13 working. I also felt that I needed to supervise everything to make sure things got done and didn't succumb to any lackadaisical .

I then had two days off and when I returned there had been a transformation - everything had been cleaned, painted and smartened up immeasurably. With donations to get the ball rolling, a little persistence and supervision to keep things on track, the transformation in a week was impressive. Although rushed, the deadline of my departure, and the accompanying inauguration ade everything get done.


So the school now has 6 new networked fast machines (far better than my PC at home!) with WinXP to qualify for the government plan, plus 5 older machines Win98 for teaching basic computer skills.

The inauguration of the computer room took place on Sunday, my last day in Lima. It was a festive atmosphere, with pomp and ceremony, flag and national anthem, dances, speeches and me being treated like a bit of a celebrity. Not at all what I had wanted when I started this idea, but it was a big occasion for them - It would have been rude not to go along with it. It was also sprung on me that I had to perform the lost sheep play again without preparation in front of everyone and the friends I had invited. But it was fun, and everyone seemed to enjoy it and found the play hilarious. Finally we got around to opening the computer room - I and the director of the LEA got to unveil a plaque and break champagne bottles to christen the room!

I've enlisted the help of one the volunteers who has just arrived to report back to me on how things progress in the next few weeks. The computing lessons should have already started, and there a few reaming things to be tided up. The school is also progressing towards entry into to the government computing plan - once the LEA director saw all that had been achieved, she promised to facilitate this, as well as sending more furniture for the room. The amount of excitement is is good because it means they all have a lot invested in seeing it through.

I will return to the school in late August. If all is going well, I may try donate some some more computers. I know some of you said you would like to help but were still considering. If you could let me know by early August that will enable me to decide how much more I am in a position to give when I return. After this there will have to be a cut off.


FC

1 comment:

Ben said...

Yay! Franco, I am so pleased this worked out. Well done on a good deed. Best of luck for the rest of your travels.